Top | Marissa's recipes
Braised Short Ribs with Dried Cherries and Red Wine
(recipe, Marissa Lippert)
Serve with roasted Brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes dusted with truffle salt.
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. boneless short ribs, trimmed of extra fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup flour for dredging
- 1 to 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 cippolini onions (or 1 small yellow onion), roughly chopped
- ½ shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed gently with a knife
- 5 crimini or button mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ½ bottle dry red wine (I use one with cherry overtones)
- 2 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy oven-proof saucepan over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Dip in flour to cover each side. Brown short ribs, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer ribs to a plate.
- Place all vegetables and herbs in the saucepan and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and dried cherries and cook for another minute.
- Place the short ribs back in the pan and add the wine and beef stock. Bring to a boil, then transfer the pan to the oven. Cook 2½ hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven, place the meat on a separate platter, and boil the liquid about 20 minutes, until it's quite reduced.