Top | Wendy Cohan
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
(recipe, Wendy Cohan)
This pie is adapted from a recipe by Karen Robertson.
- 1 gluten-free pie crust (either Tender Pie Crust or Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Oil-Based Pie Crust)
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie filling)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose gluten-free baking mix (2 parts brown-rice flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 1 part tapioca starch, ½ part potato starch)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. cloves
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ¼ cup crystalline fructose
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. dark agave syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup full-fat (not light) coconut milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened rice or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make whichever crust you choose as directed. Place the crust in a pie plate and carefully cover the inside of the crust with foil. Fill the pie crust with dried beans or rice, then bake the crust for about 10 minutes. When the edges are set, remove the foil and beans and bake for another 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust is beginning to crisp slightly. Remove the pie plate from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients together in a blender, adding them in order as listed. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked pie shell and bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees. Check for doneness every 5 minutes thereafter by inserting a paring knife into the pie; when the pie is done, the knife should come out clean.
Read more about gluten-free holidays in "A gluten-free Thanksgiving."