Top | Wendy Cohan
Tender Pie Crust
(recipe, Wendy Cohan)
This recipe is adapted from Karen Robertson.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose gluten-free baking mix (2 parts brown-rice flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 1 part tapioca starch, ½ part potato starch), plus up to 1 tablespoon more as needed
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1½ tsp. guar gum or 1¼ tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. crystalline fructose
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance vegan margarine or shortening (if using shortening, add ½ tsp. salt)
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1½ Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar or cold water
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then cut in the margarine or shortening carefully until there are no lumps larger than the size of a pea.
- Beat together the eggs and water or vinegar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture, stirring carefully with a fork to combine.
- When the dough is just barely beginning to hold together, turn it out onto a floured surface and flatten and fold, then flatten and fold again. Do not overwork the dough. Roll out carefully between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Remove the top sheet of waxed paper and invert the crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Using waxed paper, press the crust into the pan, then remove the paper. Use a similar technique for top crust if making a 2-crust pie.
Read more about gluten-free holidays in "A gluten-free Thanksgiving."