Top | Wendy Cohan
Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Oil-Based Pie Crust
(recipe, Wendy Cohan)
This recipe is adapted from one by Betty Hagman.
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free baking mix (2 parts brown-rice flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 1 part tapioca starch, ½ part potato starch)
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- 3 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. crystalline fructose
- 3 Tbsp. cold rice milk
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- Mix together all the dry ingredients, then mix together the rice milk and oil.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the rice milk-oil mixture, stirring gently with a fork to combine.
- When the dough is just barely beginning to hold together, turn it out onto a floured surface and flatten and fold, then flatten and fold again. Do not overwork the dough. Roll out carefully between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Remove the top sheet of waxed paper and invert the crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Using waxed paper, press the crust into the pan, then remove the paper. Use a similar technique for the top crust if making a two-crust pie.
Read more about gluten-free holidays in "A gluten-free Thanksgiving."