Top | Salads
Chicken Salad with Curry, Mandarin Oranges, Grapes, and Almonds
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
I loved this salad at first bite when my friend Colleen made it. Spicy, sweet, creamy, and crunchy, it's a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. Serve it in pita bread for a sandwich, or over greens as a salad.
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I like Best Foods)
- ½ cup low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. hot curry powder
- Big pinch of salt
- 4 cups cooked chicken (2 large breasts, roasted, grilled, or poached), cooled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups green grapes, halved
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pita bread or salad greens, to serve
- Make the dressing: Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, shallot, lemon juice, curry powder, and big pinch of salt in a small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss the cooled chicken with the dressing. Add the grapes, celery, mandarin oranges, and almonds, and stir until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salad: Fill pita bread with chicken salad, or wrap portions of the salad in another kind of pliable flatbread, such as lavash or naan. Or arrange fresh salad greens on plates and top with servings of the chicken salad.