Top | Salads
Romaine Salad with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Blue Cheese Dressing
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
I love the classic combination of iceberg lettuce and blue-cheese dressing, but here I yield to romaine for its combination of crunch and higher nutritional value. This salad, when made with August-ripe tomatoes and served with a grilled steak and Walla Walla sweet onions, makes the perfect late-summer dinner.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped into bite-size pieces
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced, or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For individual composed salads, divide the greens between 4 plates, drizzle with blue-cheese dressing, top with chopped tomatoes and crumbled bacon, and finish with a fresh grind of black pepper. For a single large tossed salad, combine all of the ingredients except for the dressing, then dress the salad just before serving.