Top | Jackie Varriano
Chicory Salad with Grapefruit and Popped Amaranth
(recipe, Jackie Varriano)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ grapefruit
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small red beets, boiled, peeled, cooled, and diced
- 1 large grapefruit, segmented
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 head chicory or another bitter green (try endive), roughly chopped
- ¼ cup popped amaranth
- Make the dressing: Combine the lime zest and juice, grapefruit juice, honey, salt, and half of the oil in a glass jar with a lid. Shake well to blend. Taste and add the second tablespoon of oil if needed.
- Make the salad: In a large bowl, combine the diced beets with the grapefruit segments and the dried cranberries. Add the chicory and toss with the dressing. Top with amaranth and toss once more. Serve.