Top | Jackie Varriano
(recipe, Jackie Varriano)
If you don't already have a cherry pitter, get one for this recipe. Pickled cherries are a wonderful complement to grilled pork or roast duck. They're also great served atop a hefty dollop of mascarpone cheese with a sprinkling of almonds.
- 2 lb. cherries
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 cup water
- 10 to 15 whole black peppercorns
- Pit the cherries and place in a non-aluminum pot.
- Mix together the vinegar and sugar, then pour over the cherries. Add enough water to barely cover.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. After it boils, remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Discard excess pickling liquid, and store in a glass jar.