Top | Jackie Varriano
(recipe, Jackie Varriano)
Lightly macerated with a peppery sweetness, pickled strawberries lend a welcome complexity to arugula salads with candied pecans. They can also serve as the perfect topper to a fresh goat cheese-smeared cracker or a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 pt. ripe strawberries
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup apple-cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 to 2 tsp. whole peppercorns
- ⅓ cup torn fresh mint, or more if you'd like
- Wash and hull the strawberries, slicing them in half and quartering any huge ones. Place them in a glass jar or a non-reactive container that has a lid. Add the mint leaves and peppercorns.
- In a glass bowl, combine the salt, vinegar, sugar, and mirin. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar granules. Pour this liquid over the strawberries. Shake the container a few times to mix it all up. Set aside for a few hours to let flavors develop.