Black Bottom Cupcakes
(recipe, Ethan Becker, Marion Rombauer Becker, Irma S. Rombauer)
Moist, dark chocolate cupcakes with a heart of cream cheese and chocolate chips.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-alkalized baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, such as canola
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or line with paper baking cups) two muffin trays.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla; stir just until smooth.
- Fill the muffin cups about half full with the cake batter, then dollop each with a heaping tablespoon of the cream-cheese mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cakey part of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before frosting (if you wish) and serving.
Culinate editor's note: For vegan chocolate cupcakes, simply leave out the filling and bake the cake batter alone; dust the baked cupcakes with powdered sugar, or top with Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting or Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting.