Top | Salads
Pomegranate and Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Pomegranates and walnuts pair nicely in this winter salad. Feel free to add thinly sliced fennel bulb and/or sectioned tangerines; you can also substitute orange or tangerine juice for the lemon juice in the dressing. As for the lemon juice, if your balsamic vinegar isn't especially sweet, you might want to add a spoonful of honey to the vinaigrette to temper the sourness.
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 to 12 cups mixed salad greens, washed and dried
- 1 pomegranate, seeds extracted
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- To prepare the vinaigrette, place the minced shallot, vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Add half the pomegranate seeds and walnuts, then toss again. Sprinkle the remaining seeds and walnuts over the salad.