Top | Vegetarian Main Dishes
Frittata for One
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Consider the following recipe a blueprint; change the ingredients according to whim and what's in season.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1 shallot, 1 leek, 2 to 3 green onions, or ¼ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach, sorrel, or Swiss chard (or a mixture of two or three)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan or crumbled goat cheese
- Heat the olive oil or butter in an ovenproof skillet (with a metal handle) over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until soft and a little brown on the edges. Add the spinach and continue to cook, stirring, until wilted and dry (you don't want the greens to be soggy).
- Preheat the broiler. Season the egg with a pinch of salt and a bit of black pepper, then pour it over the vegetables in the pan. Once the bottom and edges of the egg have set, place the pan under the broiler; keep an eye on it, as the top of the egg mixture will be cooked in about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the oven, cover the egg surface with cheese, and return to the broiler to melt the cheese. Grind fresh black pepper over the egg and serve with toast.