Top | Main Dishes
Spaghetti alla Carbonara
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
From Saveur Rome isue # 128.
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. thinly sliced guanciale or pancetta cut
- into ½" pieces
- 2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper, plus more
- to taste
- 1¾ cups finely grated Parmesan
- 1 egg plus 3 yolks
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1. Heat oil in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add guanciale and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 6–8 minutes. Add pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 minutes more. Transfer guanciale mixture to a large bowl and let cool slightly; stir in 1½ cups Parmesan and egg and yolks and stir to combine; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring a 6-qt. pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until al dente, 8–10 minutes. Reserve ¾ cup water; drain pasta and transfer it to guanciale mixture. Toss, adding pasta water a little at a time to make a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper; serve with remaining Parmesan.