Top | Sides and Salads
Fresh Fig, Sweet Potato, Wild Rice Dressing
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- Fig, Sweet Potato, and Wild Rice Stuffing
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 red onion or 2-3 shallots, chopped
- ½ lb. wild rice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pt. fresh black mission figs, chopped into ½″ chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 package vacuum sealed chestnuts, chopped
- fresh pasley, thyme and/or sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the sweet potatoes and spread on a baking sheet with sprigs of thyme and chestnuts. Roast in 425 degree oven until tender. Add figs for last 10-15 minutes of roasting.
- Boil plenty of salted water, add in the wild rice, and gently boil, covered, until tender (45-60
- minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a pan and cook the garlic in it over medium heat, stirring often. If using sage, add to fry briefly and flavor.
- stir all ingredients together and add herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with roast chicken and gravy for best effect.