Top | Main Dishes
Jamaican Cook-Up with Sweet Potato, Collards and Eggplant
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Adapted from Cheap, Healthy, Good
- canola oil or cooking spray
- 1 to 2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 small Japanese eggplants (about 12 oz), cubed, or 1 large globe eggplant
- 1 habanero or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups carrots or sweet potato (About 3 medium), cubed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp. dried allspice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups collard greens, torn
- 1 can chickpeas, plack-eyed peas or other beans
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1) In a large saucepan or stewpot, heat oil over medium heat. Combine onion, peppers, and eggplant in pot and saute for 7 minutes or until soft.
- 6) Add liquids (coconut milk and stock), rice, carrots or potato, and spices. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-40 minutes or until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, stirring occassionally. Add water, stock or coconut milk as necessary to keep rice from sticking to the pot.
- 7) Stir in greens and chickpeas, and cook until greens are wilted. Sprinkle with parsley (if using) and lime juice to taste. Serve warm with cornbread.