Top | Starters
Quick Pickled Green Beans
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
At Thanksgiving years ago I made a pickled carrot recipe from Gourmet magazine, which my family loved. It's become a holiday staple.
Recently, when a friend asked if I had a recipe for quick-pickled green beans, I thought of those carrots. Voilà! These make a nice addition to a picnic or appetizer spread.
- ¾ lb. green beans, topped
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1½ Tbsp. dill seeds
- 1 small dried red chile
- 1½ Tbsp. salt
- In a large saucepan, in gently boiling water, blanch the green beans for 3 to 5 minutes, just until tender. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Transfer beans to a heatproof container.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seeds, red chile, and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the beans and cool, uncovered.
- Chill, covered, at least 1 day for the flavors to fully develop.