Top | Adam Ried
Mulled Cider Ice-Cream Float
(recipe, Adam Ried)
You’ll end up with enough cider syrup for two ice-cream sodas.
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp. Calvados (optional)
- 1 cup cream soda or apple soda, well chilled
- 2 large scoops (about ½ cup each) vanilla or caramel ice cream
- 1 or 2 slices fresh apple, for garnish (optional)
- Bring the cider, cinnamon sticks, cloves, peppercorns, and a pinch of salt to a strong simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer vigorously, swirling the pan occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to ½ cup, about 18 minutes. Off the heat, cool to room temperature and strain; discard the solids.
- Add about ¼ cup cider syrup, the calvados (if using), and ¾ cup soda to a large (about 16 ounce) well-chilled glass, and stir gently to mix. Add one scoop of the ice cream and remaining soda, and with a spoon push the ice cream down into the liquid once or twice. Top with the remaining scoop of ice cream, garnish with apple slices, if using, and serve immediately with a straw.