Top | Vegetarian Main Dishes
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
I love free-form tarts, both sweet and savory. This recipe fills Deborah Madison's yeasted tart dough (in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) with a sprightly spring combo of goat cheese, tarragon, lemon zest, leeks, and roasted asparagus.
Serve this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, adding a green salad to round out an afternoon or evening meal.
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Scant ¼ tsp. salt
- 1¾ cups flour, plus more if needed
- 1 large bunch of asparagus
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 leeks (white and pale green parts only), cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter (optional)
- Prep the tart dough: In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Set aside for about 10 minutes, until bubbly. Add the olive oil, egg, and salt. Stir in the flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is too stiff to work with a spoon.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 4 to 5 minutes. Add more flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Set the dough in an oiled bowl, turn it over to coat all sides, cover with a dishtowel, and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the dough has risen and doubled in bulk.
- Roast the asparagus: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and trim the ends. Toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, then spread the asparagus out on a large baking sheet. Roast the asparagus for 10 minutes, then remove the asparagus from the oven. Reduce the oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Make the filling: While the asparagus is roasting, cook the leeks in a large sauté pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil, a big pinch of salt, and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add ¼ cup of the cream, and continue cooking until only a little of the liquid remains. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Crack the egg in a medium bowl and beat it lightly. Add the remaining ¼ cup of cream and the lemon zest, tarragon, and goat cheese. Stir until relatively smooth, then add the cooled leeks and stir until blended.
- Finish the tart dough: Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 11 inches by 17 inches. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Assemble the tart: Spread the leek-goat cheese filling thinly over the dough, leaving an inch-wide border along the edges. Arrange the roasted asparagus over the filling, in whatever decorative pattern you like. Fold the border of the dough over the edge of the filling.
- Bake the tart: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. If you like, you can brush the pastry edges with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter halfway through the cooking time. Serve hot or warm.