Top | Sides and Salads
Bread Line Lentil Salad
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
One of my favorite lentil recipes. Serve alone or on top of mixed greens.
- 8 oz. French green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Vinaigrette Dressing (below)
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallot or red onion
- 3 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil to taste (the recipe I used called for a whole cup, but I used WAY less and just drizzled it in until it cut the vinegar to a good flavor)
- In medium saucepan, combine lentils, bay leaves, thyme, carrot, celery, shallot, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft. Cover with water by 1-inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until lentils are just tender but still firm (15-20 minutes). Drain and discard the bay leaves and thyme. Place lentil mixture in a big bowl and set aside to cool to room temp.
- Once lentils are completely cool, mix in the chopped parsley and add just enough Vinaigrette to lightly dress (you won't use all of it). Adjust seasoning to taste. Fold in feta cheese just before serving.