Top | Main Dishes
Sausage, Bean and Spinach Pasta Bake
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole wheat rotini (I used white pasta the first time)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 4 links (12 ounces) cured or smoked chicken sausage links, cut into ⅓-inch rounds
- 1 (16-ounce) bag chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (low-sodium if preferred)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 (15-ounce) can beans (I like chickpeas and Goya small white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (original recipe called for drained, but it was a bit dry, so try not draining)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch glass baking dish. Cook pasta according to package directions, slightly short of al dente in salted water. Drain and reserve.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add spinach. Stir to combine and heat through. Add soy sauce and red pepper. Stir to combine. Taste, adding more soy sauce if necessary. Add pasta, chickpeas, tomatoes, and pepper to taste. Stir again. Add Parmesan. Stir one last time.
- Pour mixture into prepared glass dish and bake until pasta and cheese begin to brown on top, about 25 minutes. Remove and cool 5 minutes. Serve.