Top | The Silver Palate Cookbook
(recipe, Julee Rosso, Sheila Lukins, Michael McLaughlin)
Another Silver Palate favorite, good year-round, but essential on Valentine's Day.
- ¾ lb. (3 sticks) sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar together until light.
- Sift the flour and salt together and add to the creamed mixture. Add the vanilla and blend thoroughly.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in waxed paper, and chill for 4 to 6 hours.
- Roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of ⅜ inch. Using a 3-inch-long heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar.
- Place the cut-out cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and refrigerate 45 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until they are just starting to color lightly; cookies should not brown at all. Cool on a rack.
Culinate editor's note: You can melt any kind of chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler. Once it is melted, dip one edge of a cooled shortbread heart into the chocolate, gently pressing a third of the cookie face into the chocolate, then lift up, allowing the chocolate to fill in the area.