Top | Vegan
Spaghetti Squash & Vegan Mushroom Cream Sauce
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 spaghetti squash (read post on how to bake)
- * 1 package sliced mushrooms
- * 2 cups Almond Milk
- * 2 tbsp non-dairy creamer
- * 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- * 2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- * salt and pepper to taste
- Start with 1 full package of mushrooms, and sauté in a little bit of oil or Earth Balance. Let these cook about ten minutes, stirring frequently , so that they are nice and soft and starting to brown.
- Next up, add the almond milk. I have recently fallen in love with this Whole Foods brand almond milk – hands down my favorite.
- Only add 1 cup of the almond milk to start. Bring it up to a simmer and let it cook down a bit, concentrating the flavor and preparing a good base for the sauce.
- Next add the 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, to give the sauce a protein boost and a delicious cheesy flavor. YUM!
- Add 2 tbsp of non-dairy creamer, and the other cup of almond milk and stir.
- The sauce should have a good flavor, but it will be a little runny at this point. Continue to let it simmer, and prepare a slurry using 2 tsp arrowroot (or cornstarch). Do NOT add the cornstarch straight to the sauce!
- Combine the arrowroot/cornstarch with 2 tsp water in a separate dish, and once it is well combined, add the mixture to your sauce, stirring immediately. You should see the sauce instantly thicken – make sure you keep stirring! Adjust your final seasoning with salt and pepper, and BAM – totally amazing vegan cheesy cream sauce.