Top | Vegan
Creamy Red Chard Linguine
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 8 oz. linguine (I use whole wheat)
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water for at least an hour (see note)
- 1¼ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup to ½ pinenuts
- Olive oil (from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons, however much you want to use)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dry red wine (Merlot works great)
- Additional ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb. red swiss chard, leaves torn into bite sized pieces, stems thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Boil water for the pasta and cook according to pasta directions.
- Drain the soaked cashews and then puree them with 1¼ cups vegetable broth until completely smooth. It might take up to 5 minutes to get it really smooth.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat. Toast pine nuts until browned (about 3 minutes). Remove from pan, place in a small bowl (or whatever) and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions in oil and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes. Add sliced garlic and saute for two more minutes. Add minced garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt and saute for a minute more. Add swiss chard stems (reserve leaves) and saute another two minutes.
- Pour in the wine and vegetable broth and turn the heat up to bring to a boil. Let reduce for about 5 minutes. Lower heat and add swiss chard leaves until they are completely wilted.
- Add the cashew cream and lemon juice and stir until heated through. Taste for salt and pepper.
- By this time the pasta should be cooked and drained. Add it to the pan, turn off heat, and toss to coat. Serve as soon as you can and top with pinenuts.