Top | RSPCA Think Pig Christmas Recipes
Christmas Nut Loaf
(recipe, RSPCA United Kingdom)
This is perfect served with all the traditional Christmas accompaniments – bread sauce, sprouts and cranberry sauce. Published as an alternative part of the RSPCA’s Think Pig Christmas Recipes - for those who aren't going to be eating pork this Christmas. Join the campaign to raise pig welfare on Facebook at http://bit.ly/rspcathinkpig
- 450 g carrots, sliced
- 225 g cashew nuts
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 100 g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1½ level tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. yeast extract
- 1 medium free range egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F, Gas 4. Grease a loaf tin and line the base with a piece of foil.
- Put the carrots in a pan and cover with boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until tender. Drain and reserve 70ml of the cooking water. Mash the carrots.
- Grind the cashews in a blender or processor.
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes. Tip into a bowl and mix with the carrots, reserved carrot water, breadcrumbs, tahini, caraway seeds, yeast extract, egg and parsley.
- Season well and spoon in the prepared loaf tin. Level the top and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out and slicing.