Top | RSPCA Think Pig Christmas Recipes
Crushed new potatoes topped with shredded ham, spring onion and sour cream
(recipe, RSPCA United Kingdom)
This is a perfect dish to eat in front of the television on a cold winter’s night. If you don’t have spring onions, you could use leeks or even a few chopped pickled onions.
Published as part of the RSPCA’s Think Pig Christmas Recipes. The RSPCA are are encouraging everyone to ‘Think Pig’ by buying higher welfare pork. You can see more recipes and join the campaign on the RSPCA Think Pig Facebook Page in the Notes section at http://bit.ly/gE65tZ.
- 400 g new potatoes, scrubbed2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g cooked and shredded higher welfare ham which is labelled Freedom Food, outdoor reared, outdoor bred, free-range or organic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream
- Place the potatoes, halved if necessary, in a pan and cover with boiling water.
- Add the garlic and bay leaves.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Once cooked, drain immediately and discard the garlic and bay leaves.
- Return the potatoes to the pan and lightly crush with the back of a fork.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the ham and spring onion, cook for a few minutes or until the ham and the spring onion are just warmed through.
- Serve the potatoes topped with the ham and spring onions and spoon over the sour cream.
- Don’t forget to Think Pig: http://bit.ly/rspcathinkpig and find out more about the labels you should be looking for to help improve pig welfare.