Top | Vegan
African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and chopped (I used red but the recipe calls for green)
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. peeled and grated ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Aleppo chili flakes
- 1 & ½ lbs sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans (or 19 oz can)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- ½ cup chopped dry roasted peanuts (optional)
- salt, to taste
- 1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add onion. Fry for 5 minutes, until softened.
- 2. Add garlic and bell pepper, fry, stirring regularly for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add spices, tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- 4. Add sweet potatoes. At this point the sauce should be quite thin and runny – it will thicken up once the peanut butter is added.
- 5. Cook for 30 minutes, covered, until sweet potato is soft.
- 6. Add kidney beans, and heat them through.
- 7. Pour the peanut butter into the pan, and heat through. The sauce will now thicken slightly. Taste, and add salt as necessary.
- 8. Serve with dry roasted peanuts sprinkled on top if desired, with couscous or your favourite grain on the side.