Top | Vegan
Vanilla Sweet Potato and Kale Curry
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 2 lb. of sweet potato and butternut squash, combined – (I used 1 lb sweet potato and 1 lb squash), cut into 1” pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can lite coconut milk (I used a 19 oz can)
- 1 cup milk (or almond milk, or vanilla soy milk, if vegan)
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp. ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. Aleppo chili flakes (add more for more heat, this is pretty tame)
- ½ lb. kale (4 packed cups), trimmed, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ⅛ cup salted peanuts, for garnish
- shredded coconut, for garnish
- 1. Cook sweet potatoes and squash in microwave on high for 6.5 minutes.
- 2. Heat a large pot on medium high. Spray with cooking spray and add potatoes and squash, cooking until they begin to brown. Stir in garlic.
- 3. Add coconut milk, milk, spices, salt, pepper and flakes.
- 4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5. Mash potatoes with potato masher or puree with immersion blender.
- 6. Add raisins, kale and vanilla and cover. Allow to cook for 8-10 more minutes, until kale is bright green.
- 7. Portion into bowls and garnish with 1 tbsp each peanuts and coconut. Serve with rice or roti.