Top | Main Dishes
Italian Sausage with Peperonata Sauce
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This is oringinally a Mario Batali recipe, which Mike and I tweaked, and it is awesome. Serve it over soft polenta.
- Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato paste
- ½ to 1 cup red wine
- ½ to 1 cup beef or chicken broth, or water really
- Salt and pepepr
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (with some PAM to make sure ther's enough lubrication. Add the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt, the hot pepper and oregano and cook down over medium high heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the can of tomato paste and saute over medium heat until the color changes to dark rusty brown (about 20 minutes).
- [About halfway through the peperonata cooking, saute the sausages in a separate non-stick skillet until browned and cooked through.]
- Add ½ cup red wine to the peppers and cook down to deglaze the pan. Add stock and more wine until it looks like the right, thick-saucy consistency. Add more salt and pepper to taste until it's perfect.
- Add the sausages to the peperonata sauce and cut the sausages in half (if you want).
- Serve over soft polenta, OR cook pasta, and add pasta to the peperonata pot to finish cooking.