Top | Main Dishes
Spaghetti Squash Tomato Gratin
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Yum. Sometimes I add chopped prosciutto to the filling, if I have it.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ¾ to 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsely
- leaves stripped from a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 slices chopped prosciutto (optional)
- salt and pepper
- a handful of mozzarella cheese (about ½ cup), grated
- grated parmesean
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce squash all over with a knife and put it in a microwave safe dish (I use the 8x8 pyrex dish that I'm going to bake the casserole in. Put in microwave and micorwave on high, 5 minutes at a time, rotaing between bursts. Should take anywhere from 10-20 minutes total, depending on size of squash. Cook until tender. Remove from microwave (careful, it's HOT), split in half with a knife, and let cool a bit on the cutting board.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, garlic, thyme, parsely, prosciutto, salt and pepper in a bowl. grate the cheese.
- Once squash is cool enough to touch, rake the strands apart with a fork from top to bottom. Dump into the bowl with the other ingredients and stir to mix. Taste and add salt and pepper and anything else to taste.
- Pour into casserole dish. Top with grated mozzarella and parmesean cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until it's bubbling and the top has browned nicely.