Top | Vegan
Spanish Lentils and Mushrooms
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- * 1 small white onion, finely diced
- * 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- * extra virgin olive oil
- * 2 cups French green lentils, picked over and washed
- * 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (such as pimenton dulce)
- * salt
- * sherry vinegar
- * 1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered lengthwise
- * 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- * 6 big leaves of basil, chiffonade
- * black pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic with a good glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the lentils and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender. Add the smoked paprika. Season with salt, sherry vinegar, and more smoked paprika to taste. I like there to be just an edge of vinegary sourness without it being overpowering.
- 2. Meanwhile, In a very hot saute pan, fry the mushrooms with another glug of olive oil, turning occasionally. Try to get them to brown well on most sides. Season with salt.
- 3. Toss the cherry tomatoes and basil with a little olive oil, sherry vinegar, and salt.
- 4. To serve, divide the lentils into bowls. Top with the mushrooms, and top that with the salad. Give the whole thing a grind of black pepper and maybe another little dusting of smoked paprika