Top | Vegan
Thai Tofu Red Curry With Vegetables
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 14 oz. can "lite" coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. red curry paste (more or less, to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 4 cups baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 Chinese Chives, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Jasmine rice (prepared in a rice cooker or on the stove - look on package for how much water to use)
- About one hour before cooking, remove tofu from package. Place on a flat plate. Cover with another flat plate. Put something heavy on top of the second plate - a heavy cast iron dutch oven works well, or a sauce pan filled with water - obviously balance it carefully so it doesn't fall off and spill everywhere! When you are ready to cube the tofu, remove it from the bottom plate and drain. If it is still wet, pat dry with some paper towels. Cutting it with a serrated knife seems to work well.
- Whisk the coconut milk, water, cilantro, red curry paste, brown sugar, and fish sauce together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the cubed tofu and saute until to your desired crispness. You will need to move it around quite frequently. I find that a large, flat spatula works well for lifting and moving the tofu around the pan. When it is to your liking, turn heat off and leave tofu in pan until ready to add in next step.
- Pour the sauce into a large pot (I use a cast iron dutch oven, but use whatever you have). Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and use a whisk to combine all the ingredients, especially the red curry paste. Add the cut up vegetables, including the garlic and ginger. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the veggies are done to your liking. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY or they will turn to mush. As soon as they're done, add the tofu, combine and serve over rice.