Top | Vegan
Thai Coconut Corn Soup
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- Two 15-ounce cans light coconut milk
- 1½ cups rice milk
- One 16-ounce bag frozen corn
- 2 tsp. good quality curry powder
- ¼ tsp. Thai red curry paste, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat the oil in a small soup pot. Add the garlic, the white parts
- of the scallions, and the bell pepper. Sauté over medium-low heat
- until softened and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Add the coconut milk, rice milk, corn, curry powder, the green
- parts of the scallions. If using the curry paste, dissolve it in a
- small amount of water before adding to the soup.
- 3. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer
- gently for 5 minutes. Season with salt and remove from the heat.
- 4. Serve, passing around the cilantro for topping.