Top | Vegan
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 cup dried split peas and/or beans
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium onions, whole
- 6 to 10 medium zucchini, whole
- 3 leek stalks, whole
- 2 bunches kale, collards or other greens,
- chopped with stems and ribs discarded
- 5 lb. carrots, juiced in a juice extractor
- 2 bunches organic celery, juiced in a juice extractor
- 2 tables spoons Mrs. Dash
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- Place the beans and water in a very large pot over low heat. Add whole onions, whole zucchini and whole leeks to the pot along with the chopped kale. Add carrot juice, celery juice and Mrs. Dash. Simmer mixture until onions, zucchini and leeks from the pot along with some of the soup liquid, being careful to leave the beans and some of the kale in the pot.
- Using a blender or food processor, completely blend/puree the onions, zucchini and leeks. Add more soup liquid and the cashews to the mixture and blend in. Return the blended, creamy mixture to the pot. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 30 minutes until beans are soft.