Top | Sides and Salads
Butternut Squash Risotto
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1½ lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch chunks
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (14½ ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, mixed with ½ cup water and heated
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until edges soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add rice; stir to coat. Add wine; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add ½ cup hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, ½ cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35 to 40 minutes total.
- Stir in Parmesan, sage, and 1½ teaspoons salt. Serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan and sage, if desired