Top | Vegan
Broccoli Red Pepper “Cheddar” Chowder
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (eyeball it – anything close is fine)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2¼ cups gluten-free veggie broth
- 1 t. whole mustard seed
- ½ t. ground mustard seed
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. salt
- A few generous grinds of pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a 2 quart kettle, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until melted. Add the onions, red pepper, potato, mustard seed and cumin. Sauté several minutes until onions begin to soften. Add the broth, salt and pepper and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and continue to simmer until potatoes are soft and broccoli is tender. Remove from heat.
- Using a stick blender or regular blender, puree the soup. If you so desire, you can scoop out a few pieces of broccoli before you puree it. Or not. No big deal either way. Leave some chunks. This is a chowder, not a cream soup.
- Add the nutritional yeast, tahini and lemon juice. Adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!