Top | Sides and Salads
Marinated Eggplant with Capers and Mint
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 1 lb. thin Italian or Asian eggplants (2 to 3), cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp. small capers, rinsed
- Preheat broiler. Arrange eggplant in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and brush both sides with 2 tablespoons oil (total). Broil about 4 inches from heat, turning once, until golden, 8 to 12 minutes total.
- Stir together vinegar, mint, capers, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil and toss with warm eggplant. Marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Marinated eggplant can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.