Top | Sides and Salads
Summer Squash and Onions with Brown Sugar
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 3 to 4 medium yellow squash
- 1 sweet onion (med-large)
- ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1½ Tbsp. brown sugar
- Slice the squash into ½-inch rounds, cutting large ones in half. You should end up with roughly 2 cups of cut squash. Cut the onions into similar-sized slices.
- Add the butter to a wide sauce pan that has a lid and heat over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onions and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add squash, salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Stir, then cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until squash is very soft.
- Remove the cover and continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes, just to give the juices a chance to evaporate slightly. There will be some liquid in the pan, but it should be thicker than water, almost like a glaze. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed, and serve immediately.