Top | Sides and Salads
Lemon Tahini Chickpea Quinoa Salad
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Got this recipe from Heidi Swanson, and Mike and I first tried it in blacksburg. It is really tasy.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- 1 can garbanzo beans, or dried equivalent
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Tahini Dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- Zest of one lemon
- scant ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- scant ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-meshed strainer. In a medium saucepan heat the quinoa and water until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa fluffs up, about 15 minutes. Quinoa is done when you can see the curlique in each grain, and it is tender with a bit of pop to each bite. Drain any extra water and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking make the dressing. Whisk together the garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Add the hot water to thin a bit and then the salt.
- Toss the cooked quinoa, beans, cilantro, red onion, and half of the dressing. Add more dressing if you like and season with more salt to taste. Serve garnished with a bit of cilantro.