Top | Main Dishes
ATK Spanish Tortilla
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Spanish tortillas are often served warm or at room temperature with olives, pickles, and Garlic Mayonnaise (see related recipe) as an appetizer. They may also be served with a salad as a light entrée. For the most traditional tortilla, omit the roasted red peppers and peas. We recommend using our winning brand of extra-virgin olive oil, Columela.
- 6 Tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion , halved and sliced thin
- 1 tsp. table salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers , rinsed, dried, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen peas , thawed
- Garlic Mayonnaise (see note) (optional)
- 1. Toss 4 tablespoons oil, potatoes, onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl until potato slices are thoroughly separated and coated in oil. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium-low, add potato mixture to skillet, and set bowl aside without washing. Cover and cook, stirring with rubber spatula every 5 minutes, until potatoes offer no resistance when poked with tip of paring knife, 22 to 28 minutes (it’s OK if some potato slices break into smaller pieces).
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in reserved bowl until just combined. Using rubber spatula, fold hot potato mixture, red peppers, and peas into eggs until combined, making sure to scrape all potato mixture out of skillet. Return skillet to medium-high heat, add remaining teaspoon oil, and heat until just beginning to smoke. Add egg-potato mixture and cook, shaking pan and folding mixture constantly for 15 seconds. Smooth top of mixture with rubber spatula. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, gently shaking pan every 30 seconds until bottom is golden brown and top is lightly set, about 2 minutes.
- 3. Using rubber spatula, loosen tortilla from pan, shaking back and forth until tortilla slides around freely in pan. Following photos below, slide tortilla onto large plate. Invert tortilla onto second large plate and slide it browned-side up back into skillet. Tuck edges of tortilla into skillet with rubber spatula. Return pan to medium heat and continue to cook, gently shaking pan every 30 seconds, until second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Slide tortilla onto cutting board or serving plate and allow to cool at least 15 minutes. Cut tortilla into cubes or wedges and serve with Garlic Mayonnaise, if desired.