Top | Main Dishes
Chicken Taco Stew
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Mom Hickey gave us this recipe and it is a standard. Sometimes it's even good without the chicken.
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 16.0 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1 16.0 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 8.0 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes w/ chilies
- 1 1.25 oz. low sodium pkt taco seasoning
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 16.0 oz. can fat free refried pinto beans
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- Mix everthing, except chicken, together in a slow cooker.
- Lay chicken on the top.
- Cook on low: 6-8 hrs or on high: 3-4 hrs. (until chicken is cooked)
- 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken, shred and then return to pot and stir in. Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve over brown rice or with tortillas.