Top | Main Dishes
Maple Black Pepper Pork Chops
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This recipe turns out the most delicious spicy glaze. I use the recipe for the glaze only, but cook the chops according to the ATK cookbook method. Don't use cast iron because of the vinegar.
- 2 inch-thick, bone-in pork chops
- olive oil
- ¾ tsp. black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2½ Tbsp. cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark maple syrup (grade B or dark amber)
- Season pork chops and cook in skillet according to America's Test Kitchen Best Recipes Cookbook. Set aside and cover with foil.
- Put skillet back on burner and turn heat to medium high. Add shallot, thyme ans ¼ tsp salt. Cook until shallot starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to a simmer and let it reduce for 2 minutes. Add maple syrup and crushed black pepper. Return to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes until thick. Serve sauce over chops.