Top | Main Dishes
ATK Quick Tomato Sauce
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This full-flavored tomato sauce takes only 15 minutes to prepare. High-quality canned tomatoes will make a big difference in this sauce. Our preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Tuttorosso and Muir Glen. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup grated onion , from 1 medium onion (see note)
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- Table salt
- 2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve.