Top | Sides and Salads
Rice Salad with Oranges, Olives and Almonds (ATK)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen. It has the best method for cooking rice for cold rice salads.
- For Boiled Rice
- 1½ cups long grain white rice or basmati rice
- 1½ tsp. table salt
- For Salad
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic , minced (about ½ teaspoon)
- ¼ tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice from 1 small orange
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. table salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped green olives
- 2 medium oranges , peeled and cut into segments
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds , toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and golden, about 2 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves , minced
- 1. For Boiled Rice: Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large stockpot. Meanwhile, heat medium skillet over medium heat until hot, about 3 minutes; add rice and toast, stirring frequently, until faintly fragrant and some grains turn opaque, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add salt to boiling water and stir in toasted rice. Return to boil and cook, uncovered, until rice is tender but not soft, 8 to 10 minutes for long-grain rice or about 15 minutes for basmati. Meanwhile, line rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Drain rice in large fine-mesh strainer or colander; spread on prepared baking sheet. Cool while preparing salad ingredients.
- 3. For Salad: Stir together oil, garlic, orange zest and juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Combine rice, olives, oranges, almonds, and oregano in large bowl; drizzle oil mixture over and toss thoroughly to combine. Let stand 20 minutes to blend flavors and serve.