Top | Vegan
Teriyaki Tofu Triangles
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger or a good pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tsp. hoisin sauce, optional
- One 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 or 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
- 1. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir together.
- 2. Cut the tofu into ½-inch-thick slices. Blot well between clean tea towels or several layers of paper towels, then cut each slice through the thickness again to make ¼-inch-thick slices. Blot briefly again.
- 3. Cut each slice into 2 squares, then each square on the diagonal into 2 triangles. Place in a shallow pan and drizzle with the marinade. Gently turn the tofu pieces over so that both sides are coated with marinade. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.
- 4. Heat a wide nonstick skillet. Transfer the tofu and marinade into the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently and frequently, until the tofu is nicely browned on most sides.
- Scatter scallions over the tofu if desired, and serve at once.