Top | Main Dishes
Roasted Green Chile Stew with Sweet Potato, Corn and Lime
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
The original version of the recipe called for 2 heaping cups of roasted chiles. I cut it back to be able to get more of the other flavors. Made a really tasty bowl of chili. It can be made in the crock pot or on the stove.
- 1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef
- Olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, choped
- 6 to 10 hatch or anaheim chiles, roasted and peeled
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, roasted and peeled (or fresh)(more if you use less anaheim)
- 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut off cob (about 2 cups corn)
- 2 10.0 oz. cans rotel tomatoes with chile OR 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 to 6 cups chicken broth (enough to cover)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- A few shakes of dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 fresh limes
- For serving:
- chopped avocado
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- Roast chiles under broiler or over flame until blackened and charred all over. Place in paper bag to steam. Remove, peeled, seed, and chop.
- Heat oil in large heavy pot over med-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the meat and saue to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes to concentrate. Add cumin, coriander, pepper, oregano and a little salt. Add chiles, corn and sweet potato and enough broth to cover (just get to the consistency you want- a little waterier because it will reduce).
- Bring to a boil, and immediately reduce to simmer, cover and simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often.
- Taste and add lime, salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with cilantro, sour cream and avocado.
- SLOW COOKER:
- Roast chiles as above.
- Saute garlic and onion as above. Add meat and brown in a pan. Dump all into slow cooker with all other ingredients. Cook however long you can slow-cook ground meat. (6hours? Need to double check.) Season to taste, add lime and toppings and serve.