Top | Vegetarian Main Dishes
White Beans and Greens Bruschetta
(recipe, Kim Carlson)
This is at once a nourishing main course or, served on slices of baguette, a hearty starter.
- 2 cups cooked white beans, drained
- 2 small garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 bunch lacinato (Tuscan or cavolo nero) kale
- 4 slices sourdough bread, or 8 slices rustic baguette
- In a medium bowl, gently combine the beans, garlic, rosemary, ¼ cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and red-pepper flakes. (Be careful not to break up the beans.) Set aside for at least an hour, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, stack the kale leaves on a cutting board and slice into ½-inch ribbons. Heat a wok (not nonstick) or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes; add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the kale, and stir-fry until the leaves are wilted and the stem sections are no longer tough, about 8 minutes.
- Brush bread slices on both sides with remaining olive oil; grill or broil until browned but not crunchy.
- To serve, top bread with beans and greens.