Top | Zanne Miller
Italian Wedding Soup
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
- Turkey Meatballs
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into ⅛-inch slices
- 1 lb. chopped fresh spinach, or 1 large head escarole, chopped (see Note)
- 2 qt. (64 ounces) chicken broth
- 10 to 12 oz. pastina, orzo, or elbow macaroni
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for sprinkling
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Prepare the meatballs: Make the meatballs so that they're cooking while you make the soup.
- Prepare the soup: Put the olive oil in a large (at least 4 quarts) stock pot. Over medium heat, sauté the garlic, onion, carrots, and greens. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. When the meatballs are done, add them to the soup pot.
- Prepare the pasta: Cook the pasta separately, or place it in a small wire-mesh strainer and lower it into the simmering soup to cook.
- Assemble the soup: Divide the pasta between four serving bowls. Season the soup to taste. Ladle the soup over the pasta and pass the cheese at the table for sprinkling over the soup.
Culinate editor's notes: You can easily substitute frozen chopped spinach, or any other fresh bitter green, for the fresh spinach or escarole.