Top | Matthew Amster-Burton
Fruit Crumble Topping
(recipe, Matthew Amster-Burton)
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's How to Eat, this recipe makes enough topping for 5 cups of fruit, enough to fill an 8-by-8-inch pan.
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. (½ stick) butter, cold and diced
- 6 Tbsp. (2.5 ounces) sugar
- 6 Tbsp. (2.5 ounces) brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and butter. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the sugars. Use immediately or freeze indefinitely.
- When ready to bake, scatter the mixture atop lightly sweetened fruit in a 2-quart baking pan and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees or until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.