Top | Vegan Soul Kitchen
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Ginger-Peanut Dipping Sauce
(recipe, Bryant Terry)
This is a healthier and sweeter alternative to fried white potatoes. But if you want to indulge occasionally, feel free to deep-fry these in organic, unrefined coconut oil until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4 uniformly shaped medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ cup toasted peanuts
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp. coarse sea salt
- Make the fries: Cut the potatoes into slices about ½-inch thick and then cut them ½ inch lengthwise into the shape of fries.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, 3 quarts cold water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot over high heat. Parboil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and pat well with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels until completely dry.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil.
- Arrange the fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes, gently stirring every 15 minutes with a wooden spoon to ensure even browning, until tender and caramelized.
- Make the dipping sauce: In an upright blender, combine the ginger, peanuts, apple juice, agave nectar, cayenne, and salt, and blend until creamy. Transfer to a small bowl.