Top | Fish and Seafood
Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Sauce
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Many condiments — guacamole, sour cream, salsa — taste good on fish tacos. When mangoes are in season, I like to serve this with mango salsa; when pressed for time, however, I substitute a prepared fresh salsa purchased from the store. If you have leftover sauce and cabbage, toss the two together to make a quick slaw for another meal.
- 1 lb. flaky white fish, such as halibut, tilapia, sole, or snapper
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup low-fat yogurt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or pressed
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- Mango Salsa
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Prepare the fish marinade by combining the fresh lime juice with the vegetable oil and soy sauce in a rectangular glass or ceramic dish. Add the fish, turn to coat, and leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare the chipotle-lime sauce by combining the mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, lime juice, chipotle chile, and chopped garlic in a bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove fish from the marinade and grill or sauté until cooked through. Warm the tortillas (see Note). Set out individual bowls of the sauce, salsa, and shredded cabbage.
- For each individual taco, place some of the fish (breaking off chunks of the cooked fillets) on a tortilla, drizzle with the chipotle-lime sauce, and top with cabbage and mango salsa.
Although I like the taste of tortillas fried in oil, I don't like standing over the stove or the extra fat. To steam 4 to 6 tortillas at a time, wrap them in paper towels and cook them for 30 to 45 seconds in the microwave. To steam all of the tortillas at once, follow a method I picked up in one of Rick Bayless's books: Place a vegetable steamer in a pot over a half-inch of water, cover, and bring water to a simmer. Wrap the tortillas in a thick, clean dish towel, and place them in the pan on top of the steamer. Cover the pan and steam the tortillas for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and leave the tortillas in the covered pot to steam for 10 minutes.